Wikipedia Page for Artists
Wikipedia Page for Artists
If you are an artist, you know that in these times in which we live, promoting your work online is absolutely essential, a good online presence can be the difference between being known and getting your works sold, and that your works gather dust in the basement.
We all know the items in an online presence bucket list: updated social networks, a good web and an active YouTube channel, and above all, a page on Wikipedia.
Being on Wikipedia is a great leap for the career of any artist, it implies being automatically recognized as a relevant artist with great potential, and helps control what the internet says about you.
But getting an article on Wikipedia is not easy, there are very strict rules that must be complied to be there, and unfortunately not all artists meet them.
If you are an artist and want to know if your profile may be on Wikipedia, this article says everything you have to take into account:
Are you a Notable Artist?
Notability does not depend on you, but on your work. This is the first rule of Wikipedia for artists, no matter if you are famous, your work must also be so that you can have an article of your own. Do you want to know if your work is remarkable enough for Wikipedia? For it to be, you must meet at least one of these conditions:
- Art that has been purchased or has been exhibited by notable public institutions. If one of your paintings has arrived at the New York Museum of Art, you have an article insured.
- Art that has been purchased by any government or any public entity. If your Washington sculpture is in a place somewhere, you can be at Wikipedia. However, any kind of sculptures about politicians who are alive are excluded from this requirement.
- Art that has won an important prize or distinction. If that poem you wrote last summer won a national award, Wikipedia is yours.
- It has been sold for a record price at a sale or auction.
Being on Wikipedia is not easy, but if you meet one or more of these requirements, you can have your own article and promote your work from there. Your proposed Wikipedia page needs to be notable otherwise Wikipedia editors will take it down.
If you meet the requirements do not hesitate to contact us, our team of specialists can have your Wikipedia article ready in a very short time.
How to Create a Wikipedia Artist Page
Once you’ve determined you’re notable enough, it’s time to create your wiki page. Create an artist biography from a neutral point of view and ensure that you list all of the artist’s works, achievements, and ongoing projects.
First, you’re going to want to create an account in the top right corner of the Wikipedia page. Once you create a Wikipedia account, Don’t write anything that is false, and be sure to cite as much external information as possible. The more public information that you can share, the more likely you’ll get page approval.
What to Include on a Wiki Artist Page:
- Recorded albums and songs
- Artwork on display in galleries
- Notable patrons, labels, or signed agents
- A list of where viewers can see the artist’s work
- The official website of the artist (or portfolio, donation page, etc.)
How to Write an Optimal Artist Bio
Once you know what you’d like to include on your artist wiki, you might consider taking it one step further and create an artist bio. The artist bio is a great way to engage readers and build interest with your audience.
Elements to include in an artist bio:
- A short summary (artist’s preferred medium to work with, techniques used, and artistic influences).
- Nationality and education
- Themes of the artwork
- Any additional context needed to better explain the artist
Having an artist page on Wikipedia will surely help improve your online presence as an artist. Your wiki page can display all your works and current projects and give you the opportunity to share your artistry with the world.
You could create a Wikipedia page today without any external help, but there’s no telling how long it would take to see your work published live. Think about hiring professional Wikipedia artist profile writers who are experts at finding exactly the right information needed to make sure your Wikipedia page gets published successfully.